Tuesday, August 16, 2011

North Carolina

In July, Jesse and I got to spend five days in the mountains outside of Asheville, North Carolina. We left the girls at home, so it was just the two of us (well, actually the two of us plus 400 high schoolers!). Jesse was preaching at a high school conference, and we saw a bunch of past seminary grads with their youth groups. It was super hard leaving the girls, and I don't think I'll be doing that again, but we were grateful that my parents were able to watch them, so Jesse and I could have a great trip together.
Here's the Robert E. Lee Hall. Built in the 1800's this originally was a house. It was incredibly large, and overlooked the Appalachian mountains.
From the porch of the hall you looked out at these beautiful mountains.
I loved all the rocking chairs!
We did a hike with the high schoolers one afternoon during free time.
Allen Cagel and Jesse were able to talk about church ministry, and I listened in :)
One morning Jesse and I took a little outing down to Asheville. We went to Tupelo Honey Cafe. This place was amazing- so cute and everything was delicious! I had the sweet potato pancakes.
After our big breakfast we walked around a few shops and bookstores. This one was Jesse's favorite.
One evening the conference had a Christian rapper, Tedashii, in for a concert. I had no idea who he was, but all the high schoolers certainly did! It was amazing to hear how God saved him and how he became a rapper.
Here's a bunch of the kids. We enjoyed getting to know them, and loved their passion for Christ.
It was neat for me to sit and listen to all of Jesse's messages (since I'm not always able to do that with little ones). The speakers also did a Q & A one afternoon, and I was impressed at how serious the students were about being humble learners and seeking to live for Christ at a young age.

Thanks again to Mimi and Papa for giving Jesse and I this time away. Madison and Savannah loved their time with you.

No comments: